Cancer geneticist Pier Paolo Pandolfi at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is the recipient of the 2011 Pezcoller Foundation-AACR (American Association of Cancer Research) International Award for Cancer Research. This is the second time in the award’s 14-year history that a BIDMC investigator has received this prestigious honor, which was established in 1997 to recognize a scientist of international renown who has made a major scientific discovery in either basic or translational cancer research and whose ongoing work holds promise for progress in the field of cancer.Pandolfi joined the BIDMC faculty in 2007, and he serves as chief of the division of genetics in the department of medicine, director of research in the BIDMC Cancer Center, and director of the cancer genetics program. The George C. Reisman Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Pandolfi was recognized by the foundation and the AACR both for his outstanding work in the field of cancer genetics and for his groundbreaking development of cancer mouse models.“Dr. Pandolfi’s research has led to major breakthroughs in our essential understanding of how mutations in oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes result in leukemias, lymphomas, and solid tumors,” said BIDMC Cancer Center Director Lewis Cantley, who received the Pezcoller award in 2005. “His pioneering work in developing transgenic mouse models of cancer helped lead to novel therapeutic strategies for acute promyelocytic leukemia [APL], and, today, this unique expertise in mouse-model engineering is helping to speed the clinical testing of new personalized cancer therapies.”Pandolfi will deliver an award lecture titled “The Non-Coding Revolution: A Coding-Independent Function of Gene and Pseudogene mRNAs Regulates Tumor Biology” during the 102nd Annual Meeting of the AACR in Orlando, Fla., this spring.
“You have to suffer: those who don’t know how to suffer can’t do the best.“I also expect a lot from my teammates. From the outside I saw only the AC Milan results, but I don’t know what hasn’t worked so far.“This is a challenge with myself. I’m always positive, I always put 200 per cent into what I do. I’ve never lost my passion. Let’s see how these six months go.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeeNo Good Disney Role Models For Boys?Why Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names & Voices?What Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All Time10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?Here Are The Top 10 Tiniest Mobile Phones On The Planet! Zlatan Ibrahimovic has vowed to help turn AC Milan’s season around after joining on a six-month deal.The 38-year-old striker said he is ready to work hard and “suffer” for the side at his official presentation on Friday, after he completed his medical with the Rossoneri the previous day.The former Malmo, Juventus, Inter Milan, Ajax, Barcelona, Paris St Germain, Manchester United and LA Galaxy forward’s deal includes an option to extend for next season. “You have to work hard, hard and strong. You have to believe it to do your best on the pitch,” Ibrahimovic told the club’s official website. Loading… Milan are currently 11th in Serie A and the former Sweden international hopes to improve the form of the club he previously played for in the 2011-12 campaign.“At Milan the pressure is always very high, everyone demands results,” Ibrahimovic added.“We can and must do more, because we are AC Milan. I want to help and improve the situation.“I went to America to feel alive and, after two championships in MLS, I feel more than alive: I feel ready for Milan.”
USC Athletic Director Pat Haden and Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts met with National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert on Wednesday following the NCAA’s announcement that it would reduce sanctions against Penn State.“After learning of the NCAA’s actions on Tuesday regarding Penn State and the lessening of the sanctions that were imposed on that institution, when viewed in the context of the events that have shaken intercollegiate athletics over the past year, we felt compelled to discuss USC’s sanctions in a new light,” Haden said in a statement.The Penn State sanctions, which were instated as a consequence of the scandal surrounding former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, previously capped the university’s 2014 student-athlete scholarships to 65 scholarships. However, the NCAA announced Tuesday that the scholarship cap would be increased to 75 scholarships in 2014, 80 in 2015 and return to the full allotment of 85 scholarships by 2016, according to ESPN.Reflecting on the past · USC athletic director traveled to Indianapolis on Wednesday to meet with the NCAA about USC’s football sanctions. – Ralf Cheung | Daily TrojanThe meetings focused on enforcement and sanction issues, specifically with regards to how to come up with fair solutions for both USC and the NCAA community.“After candid discussions, the NCAA asked us to provide additional information and indicated it would study our suggestions,” Haden said.USC’s sanctions came as a result of the 2010 Reggie Bush case, and reduced the total football scholarship limit from 85 scholarships to 75 annual scholarships. Haden noted, however, that football players who were injured or transferred left the Trojans with less than 60 recruited scholarship student-athletes.“I believe the penalties imposed on our football program in 2010 were unprecedented and inconsistent with NCAA precedent in prior cases,” Haden said. “Since the Committee on Infractions issued its sanctions in 2010, USC has been held up as a model and praised for its integrity and commitment to compliance, a fact often mentioned by the NCAA itself.”
FILE PHOTO: Uganda CranesKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Uganda Cranes new head coach Jonathan McKinstry has today named a provisional squad to prepare ahead the 2021 Total Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifier.The Cranes are in Group B alongside Burkina Faso, Malawi and South Sudan. McKinstry’s team will kick start their campaign with an away game against tricky Burkina Faso on November 13th before hosting Malawi Flames on November 17th at the Mandela National Stadium, Namboole.The 25-man squad has five local based players and 20 professional led by skipper Denis Onyango. The team is expected to take a Ugandan Airlines chartered flight for the away game in Burkina Faso before flying back quickly to prepare for the game against Malawi.The five local players invited include; Allan Okello, Charles Lukwago, Nicholas Kasozi, Fahad Bayo and Halid Lwaliwa.“We must work hard ahead of these games because it is always good to have a good start in such qualifiers. Playing Burkina Faso at home has never been easy because they have a good record,” added McKinstry.The new coach who took over from Sebastien Desabre who resigned after the 2019 Afcon in Egypt started his new job with a 1-0 away with against Ethiopia two weeks ago.Squad Goalkeepers: Dennis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, South Africa), Robert Odongkara (Horoya AC, Guinea), Charles Lukwago (KCCA, Uganda)Defenders: Ronald Mukiibi (Ostersunds FK, Sweden), Nico Wakiro Wadada (Azam, Tanzania), Bevis Mugabi (Motherwell, Scotland), Murushid Jjuuko (Wydad Casablanca, Morocco), Timothy Denis Awany (Sport Club Ironi Ashdod, Israel), Hassan Wasswa Mawanda (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia), Halid Lwaliwa (Vipers, Uganda), Isaac Muleme (Viktoria Zizkov, Czech Republic), Joseph Ochaya (TP Mazembe, Democratic Republic of Congo)Midfielders: Michael Azira (Chicago Fire, USA), Khalid Aucho (Misr Lel Makasa, Egypt), Tadeo Lwanga (Tanta, Egypt), Nicholas Kasozi (KCCA, Uganda), Allan Okello (KCCA, Uganda), Allan Kyambadde (El Gouna, Egypt)Forwards: Emmanuel Arnold Okwi (Ittihad Alexandria, Egypt), Patrick Henry Kaddu (RS Berkane, Morocco), Alexis Bbakka (Carlstad United BK, Sweden), Fahad Bayo (Vipers, Uganda), Farouk Miya (Konyaspor, Turkey), Abdu Lumala (Pyramids, Egypt), William Kizito Luwagga (Shakhter Karaganda, Kazahstan)******URNShare on: WhatsApp
Mater Dei Prep in Middletown graduated 76 seniors on June 4. The commencement took place at Mary Mother of God Church in Middletown. The valedictorian was Taralynn Zecchio and the salutatorian was Gabriella Rosko. An alumnus of Mater Dei, Joseph Oxley, was the guest speaker at graduation. Above, new graduates, from left, Alexis Travers, Glenn Slocum, Erin Shaw and Michael Farrell celebrate their commencement.
Zietek played overseas in Germany and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Zietek verbally committed to Temple June 16 and is the fourth Owls’ offensive lineman from out of the country. Kobe Wilson: Trask attended Evans High School in Evans, Georgia and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Trask verbally committed to Temple on July 4. Clary attended Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden, NJ and is rated as a two-star recruit by 247sports. Clary verbally committed to Temple on Feb. 23 and was recruited by Brown. Defensive Back: Defensive End: D.J. Woodbury: Hawkins attended The Haverford School in Havertown, PA and is listed as a two-star recruit, according to Rivals. Hawkins verbally committed to Temple on Dec. 15 and recorded two interceptions this season. Defensive Tackle: Blair is a three-star recruit according to 247sports and attended Haverford High School in Havertown, Pennsylvania. Blair verbally committed to Temple on Dec. 13. He recorded 26 carries for 258 yards against Upper Darby High School on Nov. 28, according to MaxPreps. Muheem McCargo: Linebacker: Nick Bagashvili: Woodbury attended Burlington City High School in Burlington, NJ and is rated as a two-star recruit by Rivals. Woodbury verbally committed to Temple on June 25 and was recruited by Brown. Matthew Duncan: Chevez Trask: Offensive Line: Here is a breakdown by position of the players who committed to Temple. Miles Zietek: Garrett Williams: Odom attended Kingsway High School in Swedesboro, NJ and is listed as a two-star recruit by 247sports. Odom verbally committed to the Owls on April 6 and was also recruited by Brown University. Ware is transferring from Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Starkville, MS and is listed as a zero-star recruit by 247sports. Ware plays safety and was recruited by safeties coach Melvin Rice. Ware verbally committed to Temple on Dec. 12. Morris attended Wendell Phillips Academy High School in Chicago, Illinois and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Morris verbally committed to Temple on June 10 and was recruited by Rice. Athlete: Bryce Thoman: Davis attended Geneva High School in Geneva, Ohio and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Davis verbally committed to Temple on June 27 and was also recruited by Tripodi. Zae Baines: Bagashvili attended Tottenville High School in Staten Island, New York and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Bagashvili verbally committed to Temple on Dec. 17 over Rutgers. Jalen Ware: Quarterback: Daiyaan Hawkins: James Della Pesca: McCargo attended Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden, New Jersey and is listed as a three-star recruit by 247sports. McCargo verbally committed to Temple on Aug. 1 and was recruited by former coach Fran Brown who joined Rutgers University’s staff on Dec. 7. Temple University football announced its 2020 recruiting class on Wednesday. The team will welcome 19 new players to the program this upcoming season. This is coach Rod Carey’s first recruiting class since joining the Owls. Williams attended King’s Fork High School in Suffolk, VA and is listed as a two-star recruit, according to 247sports. Williams verbally committed to Temple on Aug. 3 and played safety. Darian Varner: Wilson attended Parkview High School in Lilburn, GA and is ranked as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Wilson received an offer from the University of Georgia and originally committed to Memphis but decided to sign with Temple on Dec. 18. Thoman attended Central Dauphin High School in Harrisburg, PA and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Thoman verbally committed to Temple on June 29 and was recruited by offensive line coach Joe Tripodi and quarterbacks coach Craig Harmon. Sam Davis: Alex Odom: Della Pesca attended Pascack Valley High School in Hillsdale, NJ and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Della Pesca verbally committed to Temple on May 30 and also played tight end. Baines attended North Cross School in Roanoke, VA and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Baines verbally committed to Temple on Sept. 8 and was recruited by wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator Thad Ward. Duncan attended Ashley Ridge High School in Summerville, South Carolina and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Duncan verbally committed to Temple on April 17 and recorded 1,172 passing yards and four touchdowns in his senior season. Wide Receiver: Dyshier Clary: Trey Blair: Demerick Morris: Varner attended Maury High School in Norfolk, Virginia and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports. Varner verbally committed to Temple on July 19 and was recruited by defensive line coach Walter Stewart.
MANDELLA’S WILD AT HEART MUCH BEST IN GRADE III, $200,000 BUENA VISTA STAKES AS SHE WINS BY 3 ½ LENGTHS UNDER PRAT; INDIAN CHARLIE MARE GETS MILE ON FAST MAIN TRACK IN 1:36.48
SWITCH FROM TURF TO DIRT RESULTS IN SIX SCRATCHES, GRADED STATUS TO BE DETERMINED ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 18, 2017)–Originally categorized as a Grade II and scheduled for a mile on turf, Saturday’s Grade III, $200,000 Buena Vista Stakes was shifted to the main track due to heavy rains on Friday, resulting in six late scratches, but Richard Mandella’s Wild At Heart was undeterred, as she streaked to a 3 ½ length win under Flavien Prat while getting a flat mile on a fast track in 1:36.48.A close third moving into the far turn, Wild At Heart pounced on pacesetters Hillhouse High and Lily Pod three furlongs from home, shook loose of the latter straightening for home and won as much best while notching her first added money victory.The 3-2 favorite in a field of five older fillies and mares, Wild At Heart, a 5-year-old Kentucky-bred mare by Indian Charlie, paid $5.00, $3.00 and $2.60.“After the scratches, the race got a bit easier,” said Mandella, who was also instrumental in Prat’s development as one of America’s bright young riding stars. “We were anxious to see what she could do on the turf, but I’ll take what happened here today…You know I’m partial to Flavien. To me, he looked great when he was 18 years old (now 24). I think he does make a difference. I think he’s one of the best that we’ve seen in a long time.”Owned by Ramona S. Bass, LLC, Wild At Heart, who was a well beaten fourth here in the Grade II La Canada Stakes on Jan. 14, got her third win from 11 starts and with the winner’s check of $120,000, she increased her earnings to $331,305.“The pace was fast, but that’s the way it set up today,” said Prat, who is also Santa Anita’s leading rider through 31 days with 35 wins. “She won pretty easy though. She was much better today than last time out.”Ridden by Martin Garcia, Lily Pod sat a close second most of the trip and maintained that position late, finishing 6 ¼ lengths in front of Hillhouse High. Off at 7-2, Lily Pod paid $4.00 and $3.00.Hillhouse High, who had no answer for the winner around the far turn, held third by a nose over Jeremy’s Legacy. Ridden by Santiago Gonzalez, Hillhouse High was off at 5-1 and paid $3.20 to show.Fractions on the race were 22.97, 45.89, 1:10.22 and 1:23.00.Note: The American Graded Stakes Committee will review the result of the Buena Vista in the next week and will determine whether it will remain a Grade III or be restored to its original Grade II status.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake In a statement, Kichaven said she has a deep commitment to Hollywood members and is focused on strengthening and broadening collective bargaining agreements and enhancing advocacy efforts on key issues of concern to working actors. “There are many challenges facing the Hollywood members of this great union and I am eager to get to work on their behalf,” she stated. “I want to express my gratitude to the Hollywood division board for placing their confidence in me to do this important job.” Greg Hernandez, (818) 713-3758 [email protected] The Screen Actors Guild on Tuesday announced the appointment of Illyanne Morden Kichaven as executive director of the union’s influential Hollywood division. Kichaven, who will begin her new position sometime next month, will work directly with the Hollywood division board in representing its interests and in shaping strategy for the division’s nearly 70,000 members – almost 60 percent of the guild’s total membership. “Her knowledge of the guild and the issues facing Hollywood actors will enable her to hit the ground running,” said Anne-Marie Johnson, SAG’s first national vice president and Hollywood board chairwoman. “For many years, the guild’s Hollywood members have not had a day-to-day executive whose sole focus was to protect and advance our interests.” Kichaven has been a SAG executive for five years, most recently as the national director of communications, which required her to serve as spokeswoman on various guild initiatives. She also managed the internal and external communications for SAG’s 20 national branches, oversaw the guild’s Web site and served as consulting editor for SAG’s quarterly magazine.
Jwala Gutta and V Diju pulled off a big upset when they defeated second-seeded locals Tao Jiaming and Qing Tian 5-21, 21-14, 21-18 in the opening round of the China Masters badminton championships in Changzhou on Wednesday.The Indian duo came back brilliantly after losing the opener 5-21 in a mere nine minutes. It was the terrific smashing of Diju, coupled with the brilliant net play of Jwala, which saw the Indian pair turn the tables on their fancied opponents.In the second game, the Indians trailed 7-12, but it was at this juncture that Diju started the rescue act. The tall player scored repeatedly with his thundering smashes – something which the Chinese duo failed to contend with.The decider turned out to be a very close affair, with Diju and Jwala enjoying slender leads. With the match interestingly poised at 15- all, Diju again came up with a couple of breathtaking smashes to put the Indians ahead at 17- 15. Thereafter, it was Diju and Jwala who kept their nerves as they went on to pocket the decider 21-18.The Indian duo will play Korean pair Yong Dae Lee and Jung Eung Ha on Thursday.Saina Nehwal also moved into the second round with an easy 21-6, 21-18 win over compatriot Aditi Mutatkar. Aditi had reached the main draw through a tough qualifier.In both the games, Saina took huge leads and went on to record her first win over Aditi at an international tournament.The Hyderabadi next plays against Aiyna Kurnihara of Japan.advertisementKashyap moves upMeanwhile, P Kashyap, the country’s top men’s singles player, defeated England’s Rajiv Ouseph 19-21, 21-16, 21-11 in the opening round. Kashyap will now take on second seed Peter Gade of Denmark.