Advertisement Print Facebook NewsFlood defences in place for high tidesBy Staff Reporter – January 23, 2015 877 by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A YEAR after Limerick was hit by the worst flooding in its history, temporary defences have been erected around the banks of the Shannon as seven metre high tides are expected over the coming days.The local authority has installed hundreds of sandbags around previously breached river banks.Tides on the Shannon are expected to reach 7.3m on the morning of Thursday 22 and Friday 23 before they begin a gradual decline to normal levels. They are predicted to rise again in mid-February when tide table figures for Friday 20 indicate that the flow should reach 7.5m in Limerick.Limerick City and County Council say that they are monitoring the flow and tidal range of the Shannon over the two mooin phases and will deploy more defences if needed as well as being on full alert to respond to any incidents.Early last year, hundreds of families were displaced after their homes were flooded when the Shannon breached defences causing millions of euro worth of damage. WhatsApp Linkedin Twitter Email Previous articleNew hospital ED can’t be rushedNext articleLimerick face UCC in Waterford Crystal Cup Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie
WhatsApp Senator Harte questions massive social welfare payments Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margey Facebook Need for issues with Mica redress scheme to be addressed raised in Seanad also Twitter WhatsApp By News Highland – September 27, 2011 News Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Pinterest Google+ Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Previous articleMan threatened to burn neighbours home because he had too many dogsNext articleMotions are not worth the paper the are written on – Cllr McBrearty News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest Facebook LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton Labour Senator Jimmy Harte has questioned the need for massive social welfare payments to many families after revealing that some are receiving €90,000 a year.The Donegal Senator highlighted the case of one family from Dublin, an unemployed married couple with four children, who are being paid €1,763 per week.Mr Harte, who received the information from Department of Social Protection officials, said €50,000 is more than enough for a family to survive on.Senator Harte said that he believed the figure was far too much to be handed to a family in support payments….[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jimh.mp3[/podcast] Google+ Twitter
Cricket News Karachi Ends 10-Year Wait For International Cricket, But Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Game Rained Off
New Delhi: Pakistan had to wait for close to a decade for international cricket to return. In 2015, Zimbabwe played three games in Lahore while the matches involving the ICC World XI, West Indies and Sri Lanka were all played at Lahore. However, for Karachi, they have had to wait for 10 solid years to get some international cricket going. The Pakistan vs Sri Lanka game was the first game at the National Stadium since 2009 when incidentally, Pakistan and Sri Lanka squared off with the Sri Lankans winning by 129 runs. However, the fans, who have been waiting for so long for a game, were left bitterly disappointed.Karachi’s first international game after 10 years was abandoned as heavy rain the previous night and an incessant drizzle left the outfield in a bad state at the National Stadium. The groundstaff were trying their best to get the outfield in good shape. However, there were big puddles near the boundary areas and with the drainage system getting clogged, the chances of play resuming looked bleaked. The cut-off time for a Twenty20 game was 8:00 PM local time but the decision to abandon the match took place at 4:30 PM local as the groundstaff tried in vain to clear the excess water. However, the weather for the second game at the same venue is more promising and chances of the match getting truncated are close to nil. Also Read | Pakistan Playing Matches In UAE Not An Option Anymore: Cricket Board CEOSri Lanka’s tour to Pakistan was under a cloud after reports emerged that the team could be targeted in a terrorist attack. The withdrawal of 10 top players also did not help. There were allegations from Pakistan’s Science and Tenchology Minister that India was coercing the Sri Lanka players to not tour Pakistan. However, the Defence Ministry of Sri Lanka gave the go-ahead and the team arrived in the country under massive security. Also Read | World Needs To Help Pakistan To Revive Cricket After Decade Of Terrorism: Misbah-ul-HaqThe series is the first for Pakistan under Misbah-ul-Haq, the new head coach and chief selector. Misbah captained Pakistan for close to six years and in 56 Tests but he never managed to do that at home in Pakistan. Misbah played just five Tests in Pakistan and ahead of the first match, he has urged the world to help Pakistan revive their international cricket.”Cricket world need to do more, not only for Pakistan but for any country where it is hit. Pakistan is a cricket-loving country and it would be injustice to deprive them of international cricket, so I hope that the world will support us more and more. Otherwise the survival of cricket will be difficult,” Misbah said. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra was on Friday detained near Varanasi by police when she was going to a village in Sonbhadra district, where 10 persons were gunned down on Wednesday by a village head and his men over a land dispute. Some villagers were also injured in the incident.The administration has imposed restrictive orders for assembly, under Section 144 of the Indian Penal Code, in Sonbhadra.While being taken away in a police jeep, mediapersons asked Ms. Vadra if she was arrested, to which she replied, “Ji”. She said, “No matter what they do, we won’t budge. We have only come here to meet the families peacefully.”Ms. Vadra said she did not know where she was being taken.Earlier, Ms. Vadra, along with State Congress leaders, sat on a dharna in Narayanpur on Mirzapur Road, saying she was not being allowed to visit the families of the victims in Sonbhadra.“We have been stopped. I am asking them to show me the order or law under which it is being done. I am telling them I will go only with four people [permissible assembly under Section 144]. I only want to meet the victims’ families,” she said.Ms. Vadra earlier visited the injured people at the trauma centre in BHU, Varanasi.Arrest is disturbing: Rahul Gandhi “The illegal arrest of Priyanka in Sonbhadra, UP, is disturbing. This arbitrary application of power, to prevent her from meeting families of the 10 Adivasi farmers brutally gunned down for refusing to vacate their own land, reveals the BJP Govt’s increasing insecurity in UP,” Congress leader Rahul Gandhi said in a tweet.
The theme for the night is ‘going for gold’ with the event being a fundraising opportunity for the Australian teams that will travel to the 2011 World Cup in Scotland in June. Dress to impress and a good night should be had by all.Tickets will be approximately $15 and will be available at Port Macquarie Panthers – 1 Bay Street, Port Macquarie or by phoning 02 6580 2300.
Image Courtesy: FortescueFMG Nicola, the first of eight very large ore carriers (VLOCs) ordered in 2014 by Australian iron ore company Fortescue Metal Group (Fortescue), has arrived in the country’s Port Hedland completing its maiden voyage from China.The 260,000 dwt FMG Nicola is the first of four VLOCs currently under construction at Chinese Yangzijiang Xinfu Shipyard, while the remaining four ships are being built by Guangzhou Shipyard International.With a gross tonnage of 140,000 tons, FMG Nicola features a length of 327 meters and a width of 57 meters.The delivery of the final vessel is expected in mid-2018.When fully operational, the VLOC fleet is expected to provide approximately 12 percent of Fortescue’s total shipping requirements, the company said.In November, Fortescue finalized an agreement with the China Development Bank Financial Leasing (CDB Leasing) to finance the VLOC fleet. The agreement is said to be the largest direct funding arrangement provided by a major Chinese financier for a non-Chinese company in Australia.The finance lease facility funds 85 percent of the VLOC cost for a minimum of 12 years on highly flexible terms, including early repayment and extension options for a further 3 years. Out of the total construction cost of USD 556 million, the facility would cover USD 473 million of the expenses.
Belgium captain Eden Hazard is looking forward to going head-to-head with Brazil at the quarter-finals of the World Cup on FridayRoberto Martinez’ side produced a stunning comeback in the final 30 minutes of their last-16 tie against Japan to go from 2-0 down to claim a famous 3-2 win with goals from Jan Vertonghen, Marouane Fellaini and Nacer Chadli to book a place in the last eight of the competition against Brazil.In wake of their thrilling victory on Monday, Hazard admitted that he is looking forward to the prospect of facing the five-time winners.Zidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.“When it comes to the match on Friday, it is going to be magnificent because playing against Brazil is always amazing as a football player,” said the 27-year-old, as stated on Punchng.“We are going to rest really well and going to really try to win that match.”Belgium became the first side since Portugal in 1966 to come back from two or more goals down to win a World Cup knockout stage match within 90 minutes.
Wolverhampton Wanderers have won the race to sign Dongda He from Notts County.Wolves fought off competition from a Premier League team to sign the Chinese teenager for an undisclosed fee on deadline day. The 17-year-old midfielder is expected to join the club’s academy after completing his move. Wolves beat Southampton and other interested parties to the signature of the teenager.The young starlet was previously a scholar at Notts County and impressed in preseason games this season for the League Two side.Dongda was impressive in the Magpies’ 3-1 win over Basford United, scoring a fantastic goal and also features against Leicester City.Notts County owner Alan Hardy revealed the offer tabled by Wolves was too good to turn down.“First and foremost, we’re very, very proud of Dongda. He’s a player this club has nurtured for many years and to see him get his move to the Premier League is fantastic,” Hardy said, as quoted by BirminghamLive.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“For us, it’s a lucrative deal which will only improve in time.”“Also, invaluably, it sends a clear message to young players – both our own and those who may join us in the future – that Notts County provides a pathway to success.”County striker Jon Stead also told how impressed he was with the young midfielder’s exciting displays before his move.“He was brilliant and a real livewire,” he told the Nottingham Post.“Dongda wants to be on the ball and wants to try things. That is key because sometime young players can play within themselves and be a little shy.”
Tottenham full-back Ben Davies revealed the entire squad is suffering from their 4-2 defeat to rivals Arsenal on SundaySpurs headed into the break with a 2-1 lead at the Emirates after goals from Eric Dier and Harry Kane cancelled out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s opener.However, in light of Arsenal coach Unai Emery’s double substitution in the during half-time, Spurs conceded three goals after the break to lose the North London derby 4-2.The result also saw Arsenal leapfrog Spurs into fourth-place in the Premier League table.“It’s a horrible feeling losing the derby,” Davies told the club website.“Losing the derby hurts a lot. it’s about us dealing with that now and trying to put it right in the next few games.”Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“It’s a very disappointing result but we have to go away, try to get it out of our minds now and focus on the next games coming up.“They came out of the blocks, but we had a really good go and got back into the game.“That’s why it’s so disappointing we let it slip. Those are the games where you sometimes have to grind it out and we didn’t do that well enough.“You have to deal with the highs and the lows. That’s football. Obviously, losing the derby hurts a lot and it’s about us dealing with that now and trying to put it right in the next few games.“We have to make sure we pick up three points against Southampton and bounce back straight away.”Spurs will host Southampton at Wembley on Wednesday with kick-off set for 21:00 (CET).
AC Milan manager Gennaro Gattuso has revealed he never spoke to Zlatan Ibrahimovic about a potential return to the club in January.The Italian club have been linked with a move for Ibrahimovic, but club director Leonardo confirmed last week the Swede would not be joining the club.Speaking about a potential return for Zlatan, Gattuso said, according to Gianlucadimarzio: “I am ok with whoever arrives and have to focus on the players at hand. I have no problem with him but we never discussed it neither face-to-face or by telephone about the possible transfer.”Gattuso also spoke about Bologna manager and former Milan teammate Fillipo Inzaghi, who’s under pressure due to poor results.Paul Pogba has spoken to Lionel Messi over his future Andrew Smyth – September 10, 2019 Manchester United star Paul Pogba had a chat with Lionel Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Zinedine Zidane and many others over his future, says his brother.“There is always a risk of losing your job if results do not arrive.” Gattuso said.“I have fond memories with Pippo Inzaghi. There’s a lot at stake for both of us, it’s part of the job but our friendship and respect will always remain.”On the injuries within his Milan side, Gattuso said: “Conti is ready to play. Musacchio and Romagnoli need to be treated with care. Romagnoli’s calf needs to heal well and the last thing I want is a relapse.”