Dubuque checkers fly for Callahan

first_imgBy Jerry MackeyDUBUQUE, Iowa (June 3) – Joel Callahan topped the strong field of IMCA Modified drivers in in scoring the 20-lap feature win Sunday at Dubuque Speedway.Callahan took the lead near midway and held off Tyler Madigan at the checkers. Troy Bauer followed up a feature win at Farley Speedway on Friday night with another victory in the Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods. Bauer took the win over always tough Tyler Soppe. Sunday, June 10 will be Fan Appreciation night at Dubuque with everything half price, including admission and all concessions. In addition, a pre-race car show will be held beginning at 4:30 p.m. All kids will be given autograph books courtesy of the Richardson Motors Kids Club. Drivers will have cars on display and will be signing autographs prior to the races.last_img read more

Liverpool won’t field weakened team in FA Cup tie at Chelsea — Klopp

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Watford tempts Troost-Ekong with five-year deal Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea Liverpool’s regulars will return to the starting line-up for Tuesday’s FA Cup clash at Chelsea, manager Juergen Klopp said on Monday. The Anfield club had fielded their under-23 players in the previous round. Liverpool’s under-23 side, led by their former coach Neil Critchley, beat third-tier side Shrewsbury Town in a fourth round replay. This was after Klopp refused to field senior players since the match was played during the winter break of the English Premier League. Liverpool also fielded a young side in the League Cup against Aston Villa, a game they lost 0-5. This was due to a fixture crunch while the senior side were playing in the FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar, which they won. Klopp has now said he would take no chances as they looked to progress. He said: “It’s a different situation to the last round. “The team that played at Shrewsbury was a team that made sense for us at that moment. “We didn’t get the result we wanted, so we had to play a different team in the replay.” “It won’t be the team that played Aston Villa and Shrewsbury, for sure. “There will be boys in the squad, but if they start we will see. “The team that played at Shrewsbury was an FA Cup team at that moment. “If Chelsea make changes, I don’t know if they will, it will still be a very experienced team… “It’s the last 16 of the FA Cup and we want to go through.” A 0-3 loss at Watford over the weekend ended Liverpool’s unbeaten EPL run and many criticised centre-back Dejan Lovren for giving their strikers opportunities to score. But Klopp was quick to jump to the centre-back’s defence. “If anyone blames Dejan Lovren for our defeat, I can’t help these people,” Klopp said. “It was a massive challenge for Dejan to play against Troy Deeney. “Joe Gomez has had similar problems. “Both Dejan and Joe have played sensational games for us in this position. “Fitness and rhythm is the most difficult to get in professional football. “Dejan is an outstanding centre-half. “If you can tell me one player from Saturday that played at his normal level, I would be surprised.” However, Klopp said the performance at Vicarage Road would have no bearing on team selection for the trip to Stamford Bridge. “The defeat has nothing to do with line-up tomorrow (Tuesday) night,” he added. “We always play with a team which gives us the best chance to reach the next round.” Reuters/NAN.Tags: FIFA Club World CupFrank LampardInjury crisisJurgen KloppLeague CupLiverpoollast_img read more


first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division Cranford United 2 Lifford Celtic 3Played in heavy conditions in Greenbrae Park, Cranford settled quickest and hit the front on ten minutes as Philip Buchannan scored following a corner. Cranford continued to press and would have been out of sight in the opening half hour only for Lee White in the Lifford goals who pulled off number of quality saves. Lifford gradually got a foot hold in the game as the 40th minute mark loomed and should have equalised when they were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Johnny Robb but the Cranford netminder was equal with a fine save. Robb redeemed himself on the stroke of half time finishing from close range amongst a goalmouth scramble to make it one apiece. A draw didn’t suit either side so early in the second half chances where at a premium and both sides committed men forward. With twenty minutes remaining Seamie McLaughlin put Cranford back in front with a fine strike to the top corner. The three points looked destined for Cranford until Robb popped up again with a poachers finish from close range on 80 minutes. A draw may have been a fair result for both teams but no one told Ross Porter who struck one from 25 yards to Cranford’s top corner to give Lifford the lead with only minutes remaining, keeping Lifford in the hunt for honours. Best for Lifford: Lee White, best for Cranford Seamie Nani Friel.Milford United 0 Gweedore Celtic 0Milford and Gweedore played out a goalless draw in a fiery and hardfought game at Moyle View Park. Neither keeper had much to do for theninety minutes except for goal kicks as both teams lacked a bit ofguile to create chances. Gweedore’s Colin Ferry had the ball in thenet after 30 minutes but was ruled off side. In the second half it was all Milford who pushed for a winner to keep their slim title challengeon track, and despite even playing four up for the final fifteen minutes they failedto score with a few chances falling to Christy Mc Cafferty, PaulShields and Damian Casey. Both teams can be commended for hard work. Referee: Marty Quinn. Watson Hire Division OneBonagee United 1 Keadue Rovers 7Keadue came close on six minutes when Adrian Sweeney put Corey Gallagher through but Carr in the home goal made a great save. The same player headed over three minutes later after a cross into the box from Jack O’ Brien. Bonagee took the lead on fifteen minutes when Sean Crossan crossed to Darren Coyle and the striker hammered home from the edge of the box. Keadue started the second half on top and levelled the game on fifty minutes when a cross into the box from Adrian Hanlon was headed home by Luke Neely. Two minutes later and Keadue took the lead after a corner. The ball broke loose in the box and Adrian Hanlon was first to react and find the back of the net from ten yards. The visitors piled on the pressure and Hanlon got his second on seventy minutes after a great through ball from Neely. Hugh Boyle made it 4-1 to the visitors on seventy five minutes when he shot home from just inside the box after a cross from Hanlon. Ciaran Gibson and Paddy Mc Laughlin had good efforts saved by Ben Boyle in the visitor’s goal. Keadue got their fifth on eighty minutes when Hanlon shot home from close range after a cross from Luke Neely. Hanlon got his fourth goal of the game on eighty seven minutes with an overhead kick from six yards. Luke Neely got the final goal of the game on ninety minutes when he broke down the right cut inside the defender and shot home from fifteen yards. Team effort from Keadue. Best for Bonagee Paddy Mc Laughlin and Ciaran Gibson. Referee: Ronan Floyd.Eany Celtic 0 Castlefin Celtic 7Castlefin left Eany with all three points in the bag following a three goal return from a ten minute spell midway through the first half . The first of these was on twenty minutes when Matthew O’ Rourke found the back of the net when he stroked the ball home from close range. This was followed up by a brace by Ronan Tourish, the first from a header and the second after a breakaway when Eany were on the attack. They got a fourth on the stroke of half time when JP Malley got the first of his two goals. Kieran Brennan got the goal of the day with a thunderous strike from thirty meters on 70 minutes. O’ Malley and O’ Rourke completed the scoring in the last five minutes. Good team performances from both sidesDrumoghill F.C. 2 Cappry Rovers 0A brilliant double strike from Damian Crossan secured a priceless three points for Drumoghill in this top of the table clash, which was played at the home of Rathmullan Celtic.Goals in each half from the midfielder were ultimately the difference in the two sides as chances were few and far between in a game in which defences were on top.Drumoghill started brighter but had to wait until the 21st minute to break the deadlock when Crossan rose highest to head home Kevin Kelly’s right wing corner.Having taken the lead, Drumoghill were content to absorb whatever it was that Cappry had in their locker. Their best player on the day, Barney Lafferty, always looked the most likely source of an equaliser with his creativity in midfield but David O’Carroll and Chris O’Donnell were in no mood to surrender.Drumoghill stood strong as the game wore on and were rewarded with eight minutes to go when Crossan rifled home his second after Richie Moore’s effort had been saved.A big result for Drumoghill as the race for honours looks like going down to the wire.Referee: Paddy MartinGweedore United 3 Dunkineely Celtic 0This game played in Carrickboyle saw the home side collect all three points following a convincing performance. The game started with both sides pushing for the opener with good play and half chances at each end. The home side took the lead in the 23rd minute following good play and a dummy by Ciaran Mc Fadden which was well finished by Shane O’ Donnell to make it 1-0. United settled well after the opening goal and began to push for a second. The second goal came in the 26th minute when good play from the home side was excellently finished by Ciaran Mc Fadden past Murrin in the Celtic net to make it 2-0. In the second half the visitors were reduced to ten men in the 48th minute after the ball was stopped on the line by a hand and the ref had no option but to award a penalty. Declan Murrin saved the resulting penalty and gave the visitors a chance to get back into the game. United continued to dominate with Ciaran Mc Fadden, Brian Gallagher and Darren Ferry going close but Murrin did well on each occasion. The visitors did well to hold United and had a number of half chances on the break, however they could get past the well marshalled Gweedore defence. United ensured the three points in the 85th minute when Ciaran Mc Fadden hit a screamer from 25 yards into the top right corner to make it 3-0. It was a good team effort from Dunkineely, however the home side played well with Ciaran Mc Fadden and Frank Mc Gee excelling on the day. Referee: Joe Mc HughCT Ball Division TwoDrumbar F.C. 2 Copany Rovers 5Copany moved into pole position in Division Two with this comprehensive victory over neighbours Drumbar F.C. A David Graham hat-trick helped the title chasers record an important result as they played their game in hand and went a point ahead in the table. Best for Drumbar was Joe Gallagher while Leonard and Graham excelled for Copany.Glenree United 0 Ballybofey United 2It was a great day for a game in Mevagh parish but the sun didn’t shine in the home dressing room at full time as Ballybofey Utd ran out two nil winners.Glenree started the game the brighter and they came close on several occasions through Paul Coyle and Andrew Kelly but the away keeper was up to the task each time.The first half finished 0-0 and with no changes from either team the 2nd half resumed at a more upbeat tempo. Glenree were unlucky again on 46 minutes not to have broken the deadlock through Oisin Langan. The attacking style of play from Glenree resulted in a breakaway by Ballybofey who were awarded a penalty which David White converted. Ballybofey got their 2nd on 75 minutes when a long ball invited the Glenree keeper to come off his line and the ball was headed over his head again by White. Two good team performances. Referee: Martin Mc AnenneyDunlewy Celtic 1 Convoy Arsenal 1In an entertaining game in Dunlewey the spoils were shared. Both teams started brightly and both keepers were tested. Lorcan Gallagher pulled off a fine save while Hugo Cannon tested out the convoy keeper with a curling cross. The second half was nip and tuck with Paul McFadden and John Cannon pulling the strings for the home side. The breakthrough came with a magical run from James Hendry Alcorn who crossed in to Manus Cannon to volley home. This didn’t upset the visitors and they hit back when James Toner knock home from close range. Best for Dunlewey John Cannon, Stephan Gallagher, Patrick Cannon and Kevin Doohan.Team Performance from ConvoySATURDAYDowntown Cup Quarter FinalsOrchard F.C. 2 St. Catherines Reserves 0It took extra time to separate these two sides in a keenly fought quarter final played in Ballyare. Both teams worked hard with both defences on top early on. St. Catherines came closest to scoring in the first half when they had a header go just over from five yards. Orchard came close before the break when Peter Blake’s shot from inside the box was well saved by Brian Smith. The second half continued much the same with Smith denying Sean Sweeny twice from close range. The first period of extra time was a tight affair until Redmond Doherty foundJoe Mc Carron with a short corner and he struck an unstoppable shot into the top corner. St Catherines pushed hard in the second period as they chased an equaliser but Orchard caught them on the break on 108 minutes when Andrew Doherty broke down the right and slotted home form a tight angle. Best for Orchard: Sean Sweeney. Best for St. Catherines: Brian SmithCastlefin Celtic Reserves 3 Glenree United Reserves 2Difficult playing conditions didn’t prevent this game being played in traditional Cup style.Castlefin had a great chance after two minutes when Marcus Curran’s shot was well save by Glenree keeper Darryl Gibson. Glenree broke the deadlock on four minutes when Damien Nelis took a perfect touch and placed the ball easily past the Castlefin ‘keeper. Castlefin had a great opportunity to equalise on thirteen minutes when they were awarded a penalty but Glenree keeper Gibson made a brilliant save to deny Keith Nelis. Damien Nelis should have doubled Glenree’s lead but his header went wide of the open net. Castlefin continued to search for a goal before the break with Ronan Tourish coming close when his free kick hit the post.Castlefin finally made a breakthrough early in the second half when Paul Logue’s corner found Mark Lafferty. Lafferty shot through a crowded box to level the score at one each. With both teams searching for a winner Castlefin took the lead. Ronan Tourish found Keith Nelis who did well to control the ball and drill home on eighty minutes. Glenree levelled the game once more in the 85th minute when a mix-up in the Castlefin defence allowed Carl Mc Elhinney an opportunity to find the net. Castlefin got the winner with a minute remaining when Barry Tourish’s well placed cross found Ronan Tourish in front of goal and he headed home to secure Castlefin’s safe passage to the semi-final of the Downtown Cup. Best for Castlefin: Peter Bryson and Brian Dooher. Team performance from Glenree. Referee: Victor Rainey.Arranmore United 0 Glenea United Reserves 1Arranmore played Glenea at An Screaban as Rannagh Park was unplayable. On a blustery day the wind played havoc as both struggled to retain possession early on. The 1st half was an even affair with both defences and midfields on top and both keepers having very little to do. Glenea started the better in the 2nd half and went close with a one on one, but couldn’t convert. Minutes later Glenea made the breakthrough when, following a great cross from the right, Dean Gallagher found the net. In a game that looked like whoever scored first would go through Glenea defended excellently for the remainder with Ciaran Mor pulling off a brilliant save with ten minutes to go. Team performances both sides.Fintown Harps AFC 1 Glencar Celtic 3Fintown Harps, looking to retain the Downtown Cup, faced Glencar Celtic at Pairc Achla on Saturday. In the 20th minute Glencar’s Marty Brogan broke the deadlock, he scored from a free kick just outside the box. Fintown’s Brian Delaney levelled the game in the 32nd minute from a cross from Cathal Ellis. Ruairí Kelly then put the visitors in front again from a free kick with five minutes left in the first half. In the second half both teams put in a massive effort to win this game. Fintown got lucky when they were awarded a penalty from a hand ball in the box. Daragh Gallagher stood up to take it but Glencar’s keeper pulled off a great save to keep them in the lead. In the closing stages of the game Glencar’s Paddy Collins slotted home their third goal to assure their place in the semi-finals. Entertaining team performances by both teams. Referee: Ed Moore.Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMilford United Reserves 3 Tullyvinney Rovers 1Milford collected only their second home win in the league against a determined Tullyvinney. With the wind at their back Milford applied the early pressure and on fifteen minutes Christy Mc Cafferty capitalised when a through ball from Lee Burke left him one on one and he chipped the keeper from twenty yards. Milford created a couple of excellent chances but were unable to convert. Tullyvinney made their intentions clear at the start of the second half when a long ball was pumped in and not cleared and ended up in the back of the net. They continued with the long ball and pushed further up but were caught on the break when after JJ Fleming’s through ball freed Christy Mc Cafferty who was upended in the penalty box and he scored himself from the resulting penalty. The game was finished off when from a Johnny Sweeney corner the ball ricocheted off Kelly for an own goal.Cranford United Reserves 1 Curragh Athletic Reserves 3Curragh started this game on the front foot and were one up after five minutes through a neat finish from Shea Hannigan. Cranford responded well and were pushing for an equaliser but got caught on the break by Gary Heaney in the twentieth minute who put Curragh two up. Then with chances falling to both teams Curragh, again on the counter attack, got a third through Dan O’ Brien in the 40th minute. Cranford pulled a goal back in the 60th minute, a good finish by Brendan Giles. Cranford pressed hard but could not break down the Curragh defence again. Team efforts.Donegal Town Reserves 3 Gweedore United Reserves 3It was honours even when second met third at the Hospital Field on Saturday afternoon. Donegal made the better start and deservedly took the lead when Ciarán O’Reilly tapped home a superb cross from Paul Gerard Duncan. After the break Donegal doubled their lead when Joe McIntyre curled a lovely effort into the top corner. Gweedore battled back and equalised with a great counter attacking goal. Soon after they were level when their centre half rose highest to head home at the back post from a wide free kick. Chris Hegarty looked to have won the points for the home side when he turned in the area to fire home with ten minutes remaining on the clock. Gweedore kept plugging away and ensured they left with a point when they scored form a penalty kick in the dying moments of the game. Good team performances from both sides.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAYDowntown Cup Quarter FinalsOrchard F.C. 2 v 0 St. Catherines ReservesCastlefin Celtic Reserves 3 v 2 Glenree United ReservesArranmore United 0 v 1 Glenea United ReservesFintown Harps AFC 1 v 3 Glencar CelticSATURDAYGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMilford United Reserves 3 v 1 Tullyvinney RoversCranford United Reserves 1 v 3 Curragh Athletic ReservesDonegal Town Reserves 3 v 3 Gweedore United ReservesSUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionCranford United 2 v 3 Lifford CelticMilford United 0 v 0 Gweedore CelticWatson Hire Division OneBonagee United 1 v 7 Keadue RoversEany Celtic 0 v 7 Castlefin CelticDrumoghill F.C. 2 v 0 Cappry RoversGweedore United 3 v 0 Dunkineely CelticCT Ball Division TwoDrumbar F.C. 2 v 5 Copany RoversGlenree United 0 v 2 Ballybofey UnitedDunlewy Celtic 1 v 1 Convoy ArsenalDeele Harps P v P Raphoe TownFIXTURESSATURDAY 15-03-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneRamelton Mariners v St. Catherines ReservesMulroy Celtic v Glenea United ReservesOrchard F.C. v Fintown Harps AFCGlencar Celtic v Erne WanderersGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMilford United Reserves v Glenree United ReservesArranmore United v Strand Rovers ( K.O.1p.m. )Curragh Athletic Reserves v Donegal Town ReservesTullyvinney Rovers v Keadue RoversSUNDAY 16-03-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGlenea United v Donegal TownCurragh Athletic v Cranford UnitedWatson Hire Division OneBonagee United v Castlefin CelticLagan Harps v Eany CelticDrumoghill F.C. v Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.CT Ball Division TwoWhitestrand United v Raphoe TownGlenree United v Dunlewy CelticCopany Rovers v Convoy ArsenalBallybofey United v Drumbar F.C.Deele Harps v Letterbarrow CelticDONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: March 9th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img read more