LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry has accepted an apology and damages from the publisher of British tabloid The Mail on Sunday and its online version, MailOnline, in a libel lawsuit relating to articles about his relationship with the British armed forces. Harry sued Associated Newspapers for libel over two articles published in October which claimed he had snubbed the Royal Marines after stepping down as a senior royal. Harry has served for a decade in the British army, and his lawyers said the articles caused considerable damage to his reputation and credibility with veterans. His honorary military titles have been put on hold after he and his wife, Meghan, stepped down as working royals and moved to the U.S. in early 2019.
Geoservices company Shearwater GeoServices has been awarded the largest-ever 4D seismic campaign in the Asia Pacific region covering up to six fields operated by Woodside in Australia.Amazon Conqueror vessel; Source: ShearwaterThe campaign, planned to start in 4Q 2019, covers new 4D acquisition over the Pluto, Brunello, Laverda, Cimatti, and Vincent fields with an option for one additional field, Shearwater said on Monday.The 4D seismic campaign will improve Woodside’s understanding of the fields’ production performance over time and provide data to guide future field developments.The campaign will be executed using the Amazon Conqueror, one of the world’s most advanced seismic vessels. It is equipped with Isometrix, a multi-component multi-sensor seismic streamer system.This is the second 4D seismic campaign award by Woodside to Shearwater following the baseline 4D program in Senegal earlier this year. The contract in Senegal covered the Sangomar, Sangomar Deep and Rufisque Offshore blocks, which contain the SNE discovery.The high density and multi-azimuth survey was scheduled to start in 3Q 2019 and it was acquired by the Polar Marquis using 14 streamers, and FlexiSource triple source.Recenty, while the Polar Marquis vessel was located offshore Senegal, a fire broke out in its engine room. The fire was put out and there were no injuries.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
James said he distributes more than 8,000 copies weekly and struggles to keep stores stocked. The paper sells for $1 at about 175 mom-and-pop convenience stores in Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties. James delivers them himself. “We sell out of them each week,” said Rafael Gil, manager of the Plaza Market in Orlando. “I had to place the paper by the cash register because customers thought it was free and were walking out the door with it.” Thousands of arrests each week in the paper’s three-county distribution area provide plenty of material, all obtained free from police and sheriff’s departments. Some of the photos are organized into sections – cold cases, convicted state prisoners, missing persons, sex offenders and impounded dogs and cats. James carefully chooses the mug shots that go on the front page. (He has learned that attractive women on the front sell more copies.) Sue Cravens, a bail agent in Sanford who advertises in JAIL, said the paper may have helped authorities capture some suspects. Sindy Lowe, who manages a gas station that sells JAIL, said she has recognized several people in the paper. “Once I even saw my sister-in-law in there after she violated her probation,” Lowe said. “I didn’t even know she had been arrested.” She added: “You need to know who your neighbors are. Somebody might be living next to you and they may be a killer or a child predator.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! In JAIL, the stars are the readers’ neighbors, charged with everything from drug possession to prostitution to murder. James said he got the idea nearly a decade ago after doing a three-month stint in the Orange County Jail following a loud fight with a girlfriend. He published two issues in 1999 but gave up when it didn’t take off. Using $600 he earned moving furniture, James launched the paper again in December. “The timing is right for this paper now,” he said. Before jail and JAIL, James’ journalism experience consisted of reading the occasional magazine or newspaper. ORLANDO, Fla. – America loves a good mug shot. The more frizzed, frazzled and frantic, the better. An Orlando entrepreneur has seized on that fascination, recently starting JAIL, a weekly newspaper filled with nothing but unflattering booking shots – page after page of them, with only a few ads in between. “A mug shot is a couple notches below your driver’s license picture,” said Devin James, 41. “And everyone takes a messed-up driver’s license picture.” Mug shots have gained popularity online thanks to sites like The Smoking Gun, which feature embarrassingly bad arrest photos of pro athletes, musicians and Hollywood A-, B- and C-listers – among them, a wild-haired Nick Nolte, a grumpy-looking Glen Campbell and a blowzy Wynonna Judd.
National 4-H Council, American Farm Bureau Federation establish partnership to promote agriculture education
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Leaders of National 4-H Council and the American Farm Bureau Federation recently announced a newly established partnership during the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the two groups.Recognizing the need to support agricultural education and highlight the impact ag plays in our daily lives, National 4-H Council and AFBF aim to ignite the desire of young people to embrace agriculture, cultivate innovation and empower them with opportunities to improve the world around them. Through collaboration on thought leadership and ag literacy initiatives, both organizations are committed to better link young people to agriculture of today and tomorrow.“For more than a century, 4-H has provided young people with opportunities to spark and grow their interests in agriculture, giving them the courage, confidence and resilience to lead,” said Jennifer Sirangelo, president and CEO, National 4-H Council. “National 4-H Council is proud and excited to join forces with the American Farm Bureau Federation to help empower and develop young people with the workforce skills necessary to pursue careers in the agriculture industry.”The Council-AFBF partnership will formally kick off in 2017.“Farm Bureau has a long history of investing in young people with a demonstrated interest in not only farming and ranching but also agri-business and food-related careers,” said Zippy Duvall, AFBF President. “We’re pleased to build on our tradition of supporting youth in agriculture through this formal collaboration with National 4-H Council.”
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Leave a CommentAt the close of World War I, Ohio farmers organized to preserve their livelihoods and lifestyles. In 1919, they gave birth to the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation. And since its origin, Farm Bureau has gone on to significantly shape the culture and economy of the Buckeye state. On this edition of Town Hall Ohio, celebrate the centennial of the state’s largest and most influential farm and food organization and hear from and about its leaders, its accomplishments and its plans for the future. Leave a Comment
Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting The 76ers, though, would’ve liked it to come against a full contingent.“I was disappointed, too,” said Simmons, whose point total was a season high.The Raptors led by as many as seven in the opening half and were within range entering the break trailing 65-59. But the 76ers took advantage of Toronto’s many missing players in the second half, methodically pulling away.“A little too much for us tonight,” Nurse said. “We just didn’t have enough.”Philadelphia led by as many as 25 points in the fourth quarter.CHRISTMAS PRESENTThe 76ers next play on Christmas night on Boston, something Embiid and Simmons are eagerly anticipating.“I love playing against those guys,” Embiid said. “I like their physicality. I like their toughness. It’s fun. We’re going to have a blast.”Said Simmons: “I think it’s going to be an amazing experience.”CHRISTMAS COAL Embiid scored 23 of his points in the opening 24 minutes.“They really had nothing to stop him in the first half,” Philadelphia coach Brett Brown said.Leonard was held out of the lineup to rest on the second game of a back-to-back after scoring a season-high 37 points in the Raptors’ 126-110 home win over Cleveland on Friday night. Toronto coach Nick Nurse said prior to Saturday’s contest that Leonard may be available for the second game of a back-to-back going forward.Ibaka missed his third straight contest with a sore right knee, while Valanciunas is sidelined for at least three more weeks after having thumb surgery. Lowry and Danny Green returned after missing time with injuries. Lowry sat out the last four contests with a sore left thigh and Green watched Friday’s win with a sore left knee.It was Philadelphia’s third victory in the last 23 games against the Raptors.ADVERTISEMENT Paul George has 43 and 14 as Thunder hold off Jazz In spite of being one of the premier teams in the league, Toronto isn’t one of the 10 clubs being featured on Christmas, something Nurse admitted was disappointing.“I think it’s a marquee day to play,” he said. “I think our team would’ve liked to play.”FULTZ UPDATEThe 76ers are unsure if Markelle Fultz will play again this season.The 20-year-old Fultz was diagnosed this month with thoracic outlet syndrome and is doing physical therapy in Los Angeles. General manager Elton Brand said prior to Saturday’s game against Toronto that he has no timetable for Fultz’s return to basketball activities.Brand said it was “to be determined” if Fultz will play again this season.“I can’t say right now,” Brand said.The GM expects to update Fultz’s situation in “a few weeks.”Fultz was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 draft, but his career has been sidetracked by injuries and ineffectiveness.TIP-INS JJ Redick added 22 points for the 76ers, who pulled within 2½ games of first-place Toronto in the Atlantic Division.Pascal Siakam scored 26 points and Kyle Lowry added 20 for the Raptors, who slipped to 25-10. Toronto played without two-time defensive player of the year Kawhi Leonard, as well as Serge Ibaka and Jonas Valanciunas.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefAnd it’s the absences that had Embiid downplaying the victory.“It was a good win, but to me it doesn’t mean anything,” he said. MOST READ View comments Raptors: The Raptors won both previous meetings between the teams this season, 129-112 on Oct. 30, and 113-102 on Dec. 5. Both of those games were in Toronto, where the Raptors have won 13 in a row over Philadelphia. . Leonard has never lost in 12 career meetings with Philadelphia.76ers: Former Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell rang the ceremonial Liberty Bell in the pregame. . The teams will play once more in the regular season, on Feb. 5 in Philadelphia. … Embiid, Simmons and Jimmy Butler all received technical fouls.UP NEXTRaptors: At Miami on Wednesday.76ers: Start five-game road trip at Boston on Tuesday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Philadelphia 76ers’ Ben Simmons goes up for a dunk during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Toronto Raptors, Saturday, Dec. 22, 2018, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)PHILADELPHIA — Joel Embiid and the Philadelphia 76ers weren’t too excited after their latest win.Embiid had 27 points and 11 rebounds, Ben Simmons added 26 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists and Philadelphia routed the short-handed Toronto Raptors 126-101 on Saturday night.ADVERTISEMENT Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño BREAKING: Corrections officer shot dead in front of Bilibid PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss
CALGARY – Members of the International Olympic Committee are in Calgary this week to meet with the city’s Olympic project team.Calgary city council is deciding whether to bid for the 2026 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. Council is expected to address the question again at its next meeting Jan. 29.The IOC is in Calgary at its own cost, according to a statement Tuesday from the city, to provide feedback and resources on a potential bid.IOC members will tour the winter sport facilities still in use from the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, the statement said.With few cities interested in holding the Olympic Games, the IOC has revamped processes to make both bidding and hosting Olympic Games cheaper and more sustainable.Calgary is currently in the “dialogue” phase. The IOC will invite cities to bid for 2026 in October, 2018 and the deadline is January, 2019.Council voted Nov. 20 to spend up to $2 million more exploring a bid but said only $1 million would be released until it’s known what the federal and provincial governments are willing to contribute to a bid.City staff estimated a bid price tag would be between $25-million and $30 million.A project team of city staff and consultants took over the work of the Calgary Bid Exploration Committee, which estimated the cost of hosting the Winter Games at $4.6 billion.Calgary wants a deeper dive into five areas before it approves a bid: capital costs; security; operating costs; finances; and financial guarantees.Council gave $5 million for CBEC to conduct its research. CBEC’s work came in $1.5 million under budget and that money was passed on to the project team.
In a statement of claim filed with the court, Maier’s estate says Goldstein started producing unauthorized prints from the Maier negatives in 2010 and sold them for well over $1,000 each, and often much higher. The claim also says Goldstein improperly used Maier images in books and public exhibitions. Advertisement Maier did not leave a will and no legal heirs have been identified, meaning the public administrator for Cook County, Ill., has power to protect her estate’s assets and enforce copyright interests. Advertisement She has since won wide admiration for her deftly composed vignettes of life in New York and Chicago, which capture strolling women in furs, carefree children and white-hatted sailors. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment The statement says Bulger, who has mounted Maier exhibitions at his gallery, has profited from the negatives without the estate’s consent. The bulk of Maier’s work is now controlled by John Maloof, who bought a box of her negatives in the hope of finding some useful images for a book project on a Chicago neighbourhood. He eventually posted some of the pictures online, generating intense interest and sparking a career archiving and promoting Maier’s work. Another collector, Jeffrey Goldstein, acquired much of Maier’s remaining archive. Three years ago he sold some 17,000 black-and-white negatives and slides to Stephen Bulger, who runs a gallery on Toronto’s Queen Street West. Twitter OTTAWA — The estate of a Chicago photographer whose vivid street scenes have won her posthumous plaudits is asking a Canadian court to prohibit a Toronto gallery from showing or selling her work. The administrator is asking the Federal Court of Canada to prevent Bulger from reproducing, selling or showing the photographer’s work. Login/Register With: The statement alleges Goldstein sold the negatives to Bulger because the buyer was located “outside the United States,” and that the parties in the transaction believed the move would make it more difficult for the estate to enforce copyright beyond “the reach of U.S. courts.” Maloof reached a confidential agreement last year with the public administrator concerning his trove of Maier images.By: Jim Bronskill The estate wants the court to issue temporary and permanent injunctions prohibiting the gallery from displaying or selling the images. It is also seeking an award of damages. This undated photograph provided on Jan. 6, 2011 by Maloof Colection Ltd. shows an undated and untitled self portrait of Vivian Maier. The estate of Vivian Maier, a Chicago photographer whose vivid street portraits have won her posthumous plaudits, is asking a Canadian court to prohibit a Toronto gallery from exhibiting her work. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Maloof Collection Ltd., Vivian Maier The tens of thousands of photos she took came to public attention after being discovered in storage and auctioned off in lots to several different buyers. Many of her images remained undeveloped in film canisters. Facebook Advertisement Sana Halwani, a lawyer for the Bulger Gallery, said her client intends to file a defence with the court. Vivian Maier, a long-time nanny who quietly pursued her passion for photography, died in obscurity eight years ago at age 83. Maloof teamed up with producer Charlie Siskel on the 2013 documentary film “Finding Vivian Maier,” a chronicle of her life — and the stunning discovery of her talent — that was nominated for an Academy Award.