auwcdoxm

Social Protection Ministry donates relief items to fire victims

first_imgThe Social Protection Ministry has opted to play its part in assisting citizens who were recently displaced by a raging fire in Pike Street, Kitty, Georgetown.Noting that the onus is upon the Government to assist victims when these types of tragedies occur, Social Protection Minister Amna Ally made the generous donation to the affected persons on Thursday at her Lamaha Street office. Amongst the items given were beds, stoves, household essentials, food vouchers and cash. The persons were also given clothing items at a separate location on Wednesday.“I know that many individuals are helping but from a Government point of view, we have offered the help that we have given to the people this morning,” the Minister stated. When asked about the budget for the exercise, the Minister noted “It’s a very costly exercise, but as a Government, we are caring and we believe that we must fall in these sorts of activities.”Social Protection Minister Amna Ally and Constituency Representative Linda Gomes-Haley (centre) surrounded by the persons rendered homeless after the fireMany of the affected persons were visibly elated to have received some assistance. Clive Brown told Guyana Times that, “I think it’s a good thing, they assist us well with what they give. It’s good, it better than nothing.”Another victim, Marlon Thaman, also sought to express his gratitude for the items, saying “Whatever little I thankful for it, by the grace of God, cause me ain’t got nothing.” The emotional man shared what he plans on doing with the items he received, “At least this here could do something, fence back me yard or buy lil thing to put in my shop.”Angela Demonik pleaded with the general public for assistance in any way possible. The mother of three whose home was gutted by the fire, lost everything. “I need help with rebuilding my home, I don’t have money. I don’t know if anybody can assist us, it’s me and my three children. We don’t have anywhere to sleep, we’re stopping here and there,” the distraught woman pleaded.The woman noted that what was most important was getting her children to school, which the Guyana School of Etiquette assisted with by donating school supplies and providing temporary shelter on Thursday.The fire was said to have begun around 03:00h on Wednesday morning in Oswald Layne’s 185 Pike Street apartment. Reports are Layne woke up just after 03:00h to use the washroom and noticed his apartment engulfed in smoke.Neighhbours and residents began calling the fire service shortly after, but reported that the initial calls were answered rudely. After the arrival of the fire tenders, the Fire Service took a while to source water to extinguish the blaze, which raged on for two hours, finally being put out around 05:00h. The houses that once occupied 185–191 Pike Street have all been destroyed or severely damaged in some way, leaving 30 persons without a roof over their heads. A number of non-governmental organisations have also stepped in to assist the displaced persons by providing essential items such as food or clothing.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *