rywcdrlw

Burbank district, teachers give tentative OK to pact

first_imgUnion co-president Kim Allender said the deal puts about 85 percent of teachers at or above the county median. The remaining 15 percent – teachers with about 10 years of experience – may still reach that goal, depending on how other school districts settle, he said. And both sides will get another chance at the table in the fall when negotiations to renew the teachers’ three-year contract begin. “We’re certainly going to continue to make the point that all Burbank teachers should be at the median,” Allender said. The raises will cost the district about $4.5 million. Also, third-grade teachers will receive extra class preparation time at a cost of $200,000 a year for the district, while spending for health benefits increased $269,000, or 0.47 percent. The union was more aggressive at the table this year as Sacramento allocated more dollars for public education after several lean years. As negotiations dragged, the school district in February applied for an impasse with the California Public Employment Relations Board. The teachers responded by picketing City Hall. BURBANK – The school district and teachers union have reached a tentative agreement for up to a 7.25 percent raise, ending nearly seven months of contentious negotiations that required intervention by a state mediator. The nearly $5 million package reached Thursday provides most of the 800-member Burbank Teachers Association a salary increase of 4 percent to 7.25 percent, depending on experience, for the 2006-07 school year. Those who have worked at the district for 24 years or more will receive a $1,000 raise. “With this behind us, we can continue to move forward for the remainder of the school year with a focus on our mission,” Burbank Unified Superintendent Greg Bowman said Friday. The settlement, which needs to be ratified by both sides, fell short of the union’s goal to move salaries for all members to at least the median for Los Angeles County teachers. The union had asked for a 7.47 percent raise overall, compared with the 6.5 percent average agreed upon. Teachers union members are scheduling a vote to ratify the agreement before spring break begins March 22, while the BUSD board will take it up April 19. [email protected] (818) 546-3304160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *